Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Where have you been?

Almost a full month and no posts? Well, there's always a good excuse reason.

Last weekend in July was a dance weekend. As such, no riding for me. After that, my bike was due for it's 18k service. I ended up checking out several places around LA, and since I couldn't get a hold of Motoservizio (the most recommended place by the Ducati forums), I called up West Coast GP Cycles and asked them to do it.

Quote:
$200 parts
$500 labor
$700 total

Actual:
$650 parts
$500 labor
$72 fees, taxes
$1222 total

Ended up needing a new chain and sprockets. They put on an AFAM quickchange carrier, so next time I can just replace the sprocket and it should be less expensive (no need for Ducati official parts - any superbike sprocket will do). Since they ended up going over by about $400 in parts the service guy (Andy) didn't end up charging for labor to install the chain and sprockets. The disadvantage was it took almost a week and a half for all the parts to come in, so I was without my baby for about two weeks!

Also, my closing rockers were pretty far out of spec, so the service guy hand lapped the shims down to 0.000 clearance (awesome!). Why is zero a good thing? Well, if the closers have some gap, they will not close the valve completely, which relies on ignition in the piston to essentially "blow" the valve to its closed position. This means you're losing some compression with every stroke! If you get them to zero (but not below or you'll cause excessive rocker wear), then you're getting the most out of your engine. (Ducati spec is 0.000 - 0.004 according to the bottom of this page)

Well, as my father constantly reminds me, "You gotta pay to play." Now, to get some playtime in...

No comments: